I wasn't able to see the live game as I usually do because I was on duty last night but I was able to read live commentary in Yahoo Sports. I was able to follow how the mighty Spain dismantled the resurging Azzurri and broke records along the way. Together with it are the never ending claims of notable individuals about Spain’s boring type of game but the statistics in Spain vs. Italy Euro 2012 finals says otherwise.
Indeed, Spain lives to their great style of passing ability and resolute defense en-route to a new passing average. And yet many call that a boring game? Well, everyone is entitled of their own opinion and they may have a different view about La Roja’s style of tiki-taka play. But goals in 14 and 41 minutes are incontestable case of Spain’s surgical precision passes. And their crushing 4-0 win at the Olympic Stadium may have silenced their critics as they dominated Italy in all aspect.
And here are some of the stats that would attest that Spain reign supreme in football.
- Spain is the first team to win back to back European Championship with World Cup wins in between.
- The four-goal winning margin was the biggest in a European Championship or World Cup final.
- Spain are unbeaten in their last 12 European Championship finals matches and have not conceded a goal in their last five, both competition records.
- They have not conceded a goal in their last 10 knockout games at the European and World Cup finals.
- Spain has not conceded a goal in their last five Euro matches.
- Spain is on a 29-game undefeated run.
And this phrase is what made Spain the amazing team when Spain’s coach was interviewed, "We have strikers but we decided to play with players who went better with our style."
NB: Image from .